Dental implants are artificial roots and teeth (usually titanium) that are surgically placed into the upper or lower jaw bone. The teeth attached to implants are very natural looking and often enhance or restore a patient’s smile!
Dental implants are very strong, stable, and durable and will last many years, but on occasion, they will have to be re-tightened or replaced due to normal wear.
Advantages of dental implants:
- Prevent altering of adjacent teeth as required for a bridge.
- Last a very long time with proper maintenance.
- Look, feel and function like natural teeth; non removable.
- Improved chewing ability and speech.
- Restore a patient’s confident smile.
- Prevent further bone loss (atrophy) and preserve existing bone.
- Improved self-confidence and “feeling whole again”.
- Support a bridge or denture, making them more secure and comfortable.
What does getting dental implants involve?
The process of getting implants requires a number of visits over several months.
X-rays and possible digital scans are taken of the jaw and adjacent teeth to determine bone, gum tissue, and spacing available for an implant. While the area is numb, the implant will be surgically placed into the bone and allowed to heal and integrate itself onto the bone for up to six months. Depending on the type of implant, a second surgery may be required in order to place the “post” that will hold the artificial tooth in place.
After several weeks of healing the artificial teeth are made and fitted to the post portion of the anchor. The artificial teeth then securely attached to the implant, providing excellent stability and comfort to the patient.
You will receive care instructions when your treatment is completed. Good oral hygiene, eating habits, and regular dental visits will aid in the life of your new dental implant.
If you have questions about dental implants or would like to schedule a consultation, please contact our Novato office.
You must be logged in to post a comment.